Christmas 1979
This is the Christmas that has been recorded on our video camera. Two-year-old Gordon getting his cool slide; Laura, still practically a bobble-head at four months; and David and I ridiculously young after all.
The memory not on the video is the one I have about David's watch. I bought him a Seiko, suitable for business and costly enough that I felt it was worthy of him. The jeweler obligingly wrapped it for me in shiny gold paper, and I placed it under the tree.
Gordon, however, found it absolutely irresistable. He kept opening it and leaving it around the house. I would find it and rewrap it, and--silly me--put it back under the tree again. After a while, higher up, inside the tree. And finally, on the mantel, where he could only gaze longingly but not reach.
At least, not before Christmas.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home