Saturday, May 20, 2006

"I Dropped Myself"

Excerpt from the family journal:

[November 1981] "On the 27th Laura climbed out her window onto the window sill, as she enjoys doing so much, but this time she fell off into the bushes. I had no idea, but when I heard her in the front yard I guessed immediately what had happened--I had caught her on the window sill many times before. So I opened the front door, and there she was--scraped, dirty, and as I found later, with a long scratch down her side. She said, 'I dropped myself.'

"That scratch took a long time to heal. Being under her arm, she tended to keep the arm down to protect it [so the air couldn't get to it to let it heal]. But it's all better."

2 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Bellamama said...

I actually have patched memories of this one. I can still see that facinating window sill and the view from it.
I always loved this story, and now Brock does too. Any time I stumble or trip, he says "Oh, you dropped yourself!"
Funny though, I always thought I was following Gordon out that window. I guess I can't blame him for this one after all.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger gamma said...

I remember it that way too. I don't know if that's because I told you the story that way and your memory has adapted, or if it really happened that way and I left that part out of the story. Or perhaps you often did follow Gordon out the window, but not this time (or at least, not to my knowledge). At this point, I cannot be certain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home