David Hates Surprises
It is a well-known fact in our family that David hates surprises. Any kind of surprise, even the good kind. This was less well-known back in 1981. David's birthday was approaching, and since he was beginning to travel frequently, I decided to buy him a nice piece of luggage--a garment bag to hold his suits, shirts, and everything when he traveled for business. I went to a nice luggage store and bought it, stowed it in the trunk of the car, and when I had occasion to pick up David, I said casually, "Don't look in the trunk; your birthday present is in there."
That was enough for him. He couldn't just relax and enjoy the thought of a surprise awaiting him. No, he had to reason it out in his mind--what could it be? Why in the trunk? What could I possibly use that would be in the trunk instead of the back seat? By the time we reached our destination, he had it all figured out and I was so disappointed I was ready to return it. Because the surprise is half the fun!
But not for David.

1 Comments:
hahahaha. and thus the notoriety begins...
Post a Comment
<< Home