Save Money by Sewing
As soon as I took a sewing class in junior high, I began making most of my clothes--dresses, tops, pajamas, you name it. So when I began having children, they grew so fast that it was second nature to me to sew some of their things, especially playclothes. I became expert at installing snaps in little coveralls so they could be opened to change the diapers. I also made a few dress-up items such as a sailor suit for infant Gordon, and a blue dress with ruffles for Laura.
One spring I decided to make Laura & Karren matching dresses--for Easter, most likely. I selected a pattern, bought the pink gingham, the white for contrast, and a touch of pale blue ribbon for accent. I cut out the pieces, and then life happened, and I put the project aside for a while until I could get back to it.
When I finally did get back to it, quite a long time later, I was dismayed to find that not only had they outgrown the dresses I had cut out for them--Karren had outgrown Laura's dress. I decided that making clothes for the kids was not remotely cost-effective, and thereafter confined myself to Christmas projects - quilts, bathrobes, and rag dolls.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home