Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Laser-Disc

Excerpt from the family journal:

[December 1981] "...on New Year's Eve, David bought a laser-disc machine, and we ended up spending New Year's Eve at my folks, watching The Sting [and] Heaven Can Wait"

David is a early adopter of technology, and particularly in the field of home entertainment. The laser-disc player is a classic example. Laser-discs look a lot like CDs, except they're the size of a vinyl LP, and they play a movie or equivalent. The picture was much better than the VHS, and it had superior navigation skills that eventually evolved to what we see today with DVDs and TiVo.

Over the years we accumulated many laser-discs, and the kids didn't destroy very many (except for Mary Poppins, which they destroyed twice). Some of our favorite movies have not yet made it to DVD and we mourn them mightily. The Pirates of Penzance, for example, starring Kevin Kline and Linda Ronstadt. And the DTV series--my kids have a nodding acquaintance with "Stormy Weather" because of DTV.

But all techology becomes obsolete sooner or later, and the advent of the DVD was the kiss of death for our laser-disc collection, although it was a lingering death. And yes, we were early adopters of the DVD player--fall of 1997, to replace our stolen CD player. But we just got rid of the last laser-discs this year.

Question for the Thomas kids: which were your favorite laser-discs?

4 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Bellamama said...

The Nutcracker (to be played muted to the soundtrack of "Footloose")
Pirates of Pen. (of course)
And Scrooge (I miss it!)

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger kt said...

Pirates; abba music videos; carpenters music videos; all of the disney cartoons (the easter bunnies and dtv in particular)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Alli said...

Pirates, DTV, and I miss flipping through the LD's and seeing Tron amoung them. Not watching it, just knowing it was there...

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger AliceK[i]ND said...

I'm not a Thomas kid, but I have fond memories of watching your ABBA disc while babysitting. :) Loved it! Of course, I also loved Pirates of Penzance and the Nutcracker (I had a thing for Mikhail Baryshnikov in those days). :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home