Patterning Coordinator
One of the most unusual callings I have ever had was that of patterning coordinator. This came about in May of 1982 when a young family moved into an apartment in our ward. This couple had one child, an infant boy who was severely brain-damaged from birth. There was no expectation that he would ever exhibit any signs of higher-brain function. Whatever development they expected him to have would come about by patterning; that is, a program of taking his limbs through very specific physical motions several times a day. This required more than one person each time, and was far more than the couple could hope to accomplish without help. The Relief Society was pleased to do this as a service opportunity.
My calling was to make sure there were women scheduled to do the patterning at the needed times each day. I was instructed not to put myself in the rotation, which felt odd to me, to ask other women to do what I would not do myself, although now I can understand why. I did spend time at their apartment from time to time. It was hard for me, as the mother of three young children, to see this couple so consumed with the constant care and expense of a child who could not respond as my children did. I wonder now if I projected my own sadness onto them, but my recollection is that of a couple stunned with the unexpected tragedy that was the result of their hopeful venture into parenthood. They seemed so alone, without family support, though again my recollection may be at fault.
My calling only lasted through the summer, because they moved away after just a few months. I wonder now what became of them and their little boy. How long did he live? Did they have other children and experience the happier side of parenthood? I suppose I will never know.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home