Hawaii and the Art of Motivation
At Cyma, there was a big push to do exceptional sales in a particular quarter, so at a company dinner at Chez Louis, the executives unveiled the new incentive program. If the company made $250,000 in sales, everyone in the company would go to Lake Tahoe. $300,000 = Mazatlan. $350,000 = Hawaii. $400,000 = Hawaii, with spouses.
As you can imagine, the company was shooting for $400,000 down to the lowest-paid secretary ("Good afternoon, Cyma Corporation. Have you heard about our new General Ledger?"). And their spouses were egging them on ("What are you doing home? You could be at work selling!"). With this kind of motivation, the sales goals were met, and the trip to Hawaii was on the calendar.
The trip was scheduled for July 2 - 8, 1982, and I had to be ready to go, which meant preparing Karren to drink from a bottle while I was gone. Needless to say, Karren was not interested in adapting, so we had a rather painful battle of wills before I got her to see things my way. Which, evenutally, I did.
The trip itself was fun. David and I were able to bring our parents, which I remember with great satisfaction, because I don't believe Mom & Dad ever would have gone otherwise. We all stayed at the Beachcomber on Waikiki, but most of the time our parents did their own thing, although they joined us for some of the larger events.
What did we do? We went to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling (I didn't). On Sunday we attended church at a local ward ("Alo-Ha!"). We shopped for all manner of tourist trinkets, from shell necklaces to wood carvings. We went on an outrigger canoe ride, which was wonderful. We saw a partial eclipse of the moon and went out on a catamaran to snorkel (I got seasick).
The low point of the trip was the luau. We had signed the whole company up for it, and found it very disappointing! We took a bus to the location, then watched hundreds of people get drunk until we had a buffet that had all the charm and quality of a cafeteria meal. Lyne Morgan asked me, "Is this poi-tato salad?" and I responded instantly, "No, it's mahi-roni." That was the high point of the evening; the show was mediocre and off-color and the ride back dominated by a crowd of drunk high-school kids in the back of the bus. But we learned from the experience.
One of the best parts of the trip was the Polynesian Cultural Center. I always thought it was a draw mostly for the LDS, but it turned out to be one of the top attractions on the island and for good reason. The activities during the day were great, and the evening show was spectacular. What a contrast to the so-called luau.
All in all, we had a wonderful time, and have many happy memories of our first big vacation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home