Sunday, April 30, 2006

Cultural Touchstone: Where were you...?

Many Church members have clear memories of what they were doing when they heard that priesthood ordination was extended to all worthy male members. My memories are not as clear as this journal entry:

"On June 9th [1978], Pres. Kimball announced the revelation... David and I heard it as we drove in [to] Kims and Blairs welding shop. Kim told David, David told me, and I remained skeptical until we went to Thomas Developement [sic] and heard it on the radio. That was really exciting."

David calls me a doubting Thomas, but perhaps I could be forgiven for not immediately trusting to word of mouth for something such as this. Among those of my generation, it was something long hoped for, but expected only in the due time of the Lord, and who could say when that would be? It was an astonishing and joyous moment. I felt that if I could live to see this day, when events foreseen for millenia could come to pass so dramatically, I could live to see the Second Coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home