Thursday, April 27, 2006

Becky Johnson

As we settled into our new house, we became acquainted with our new ward, the Mesa 18th ward. My closest friend, Becky Johnson, started out as a visiting teaching assignment. We began walking together in the early morning and became fast friends.

Becky lived in a lovely house that was filled to bursting with her five intelligent and energetic boys, and her very intelligent and energetic husband, Ken. The youngest boy, David ("Davy"), was just a month younger than Gordon, and they played together often while we visited. Becky was bright, loved watercolors as a painter and as a collector, and had a wonderful sensitive philosophical bent. (She still is and does, but I am reminiscing here.)

After a few years, we were excited to discover that not only were we both pregnant, but we were due within a month of each other; Becky was due first. But Karren was in a hurry, and I had my baby girl first. Becky followed a few weeks later with boy #6, Timmy.

Shortly after Timmy was born, Becky gave me a lovely pink crocheted bonnet and booties set for Karren. She explained that a dear friend had made them for her, but since she was never going to have a girl, she wanted me to have them for Karren. I was touched, and we enjoyed them very much. A few years later, when I learned that she finally had a daughter (and she eventually ended up with two), I sewed fresh ribbons on the bonnet and booties and returned them to her. She was glad to have them back for the girls she thought she would never have.

1 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger kt said...

what? me? in a hurry?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home