The Apartment
When we moved out of the house at 312 North Gilbert Road, we had to move into an apartment, the first and only apartment we have ever lived in. I remember very little about it, except it was fairly ordinary, neither fantastic nor horrible. Apartment living was not charming, however, and we were happy to move out after just a month or two, when an unexpected opportunity arose to rent a house for the summer months of 1977.
And where was this apartment? h'm... I believe the address is 309 South Shouse, because there is an apartment complex at that address now, and that is certainly the right street and the right area. Shouse is east of Gilbert road, a right turn off of Broadway. At the time there was a Circle K or 7-11 on the corner of Broadway and Gilbert, and then a Taco Bell, which is where I first learned to love Burritoes Supreme. (Now it's probably a liquor store and a pawnshop, with signs in Spanish.) Right by the Taco Bell is Shouse, the first street on the right, which would lead you straight to the apartment complex. I'm sure the area is dangerous nowadays. At the time, it was merely unattractive.

5 Comments:
yeah, but tell me more about the apartment !!
The complex was cheesy stucco with an arched entry. Dad remembers that it was about $139 - 179 a month.
It was bland, shag-carpeted, thin-walled, with a tiny kitchen, LR area, bathroom, 2 bedrooms. Utterly forgettable and boring. We had an outside storage closet, and the laundry facility was the equivalent of a double-wide storage closet. Bleah. I kind of think of it as being upstairs, and Dad as downstairs. But really, neither of us can be sure.
Oh, and I believe it was here that I reread the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and decided Laura was a great name for a girl.
And we thank you for raising us in houses
according to the family journal, the apartment was at Casa de Leon #2, and we were there for 1 month.
Post a Comment
<< Home