Saturday, July 22, 2006

Swimming Lessons

The family journal records "the kids have had swimming lessons from Jennifer Hall every day for the last three weeks--they have one week left." That sounds like summer at our house.

Swimming lessons in Arizona were not a luxury; they were a necessity. Everyone knew too many children who had drowned or near-drowned in a pool--theirs or somebody else's. From the time they could crawl into the pool, tiny tots went through rigorous training to drown-proof them, or so the parents fervently hoped. As the years passed, they learned to swim too, and then to swim well.

Jennifer Hall was the most highly recommended swimming teacher. She was Jennifer Bunker in high school, the most popular and most photogenic of all the cheerleaders. Those sunny and successful personality traits served her well when she began teaching swimming lessons at her house. Her classes were always packed, and the moms always well-pleased with the results.

I often sat in the shade of her back porch with the other moms, (sometimes I picked up a load of groceries, sometimes I waited) where it was still 100+ degrees, and watched as she sweetly cajoled Karren and other toddlers into monkey-walking around the side of the pool to the steps, where she could climb out safely. It seems like she learned to swim to the surface, to roll onto her back, to dog-paddle to the edge--all manner of survival skills for water babies. Was I required to be in the pool with her? I don't remember that I was. But how on earth did Jennifer manage all those toddlers if I didn't?

Gordon and Laura, and eventually Karren, Stuart and Allison, learned various swimming strokes, how to dive into the pool and swim to the other end, and other useful skills. Every lesson, however terrifying, ended in a palmful of goldfish crackers or a gummy worm, dropped into the water so the child would have to put his/her face in the water to get it. Jennifer was very big on positive reinforcement.

I have good memories of those days. Kids, what about you? What do you remember about swimming lessons? And were they worthwhile?

3 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Alli said...

I do remember diving into the water for a small red candy that I was desperate to eat.. But I can't dive anymore. Nope nope nope.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Bellamama said...

I seem to remember hanging on the edge of the pool (in between monkey-walking) and waiting for my turn to float. I'm pretty sure that's how she kept us in line. We were terrified to move and we stayed put. I also remember that it was jelly beans she dropped into the pool. Strongest memory is the goldfish crackers. I always think of swimming pools when I smell them-happy memories.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger kt said...

jelly beans. She had me get jelly beans from the bottom of the shallow step section. I loved swimming lessons. I think she had peach trees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home