Monday, January 22, 2007

The Fort

The backyard in the Mallory house was huge. The lot was a commerical acre, and the house was placed such that, in addition to the ramada and half-a-dozen navel orange trees, we could have a pool, a tennis court, and a fort, and still have enough grass to play football or host a reasonably large wedding reception.

The fort was probably the most used part of the back yard. My dad (Grandpa Bradshaw) built it, so it will probably last through the Millenium. Its design roughly corresponds to a tower on a fort in the old west. With four corner posts made of telephone poles, the fort featured a side staircase that led up to the walled platform shaded by a shake roof. A commercial-grade slide, complete with little waves in it, was the fastest way down, and was shaded by an orange tree so it could be used in the summer months (in Arizona, that's about nine months of the year.)

The kids played in the fort a lot. If I recall correctly, the boys played shoot-em-up type games, and the girls had tea parties and Barbie-type games. We threatened to tear it down when they started climbing on the roof, so they took to making sure we weren't looking when they did. (We learned all this later, of course.)

I had to rub down the slide with wax paper occasionally if it got too sticky. Not too much wax, though, or they'd fly down at a dangerous speed.

What are your chief memories of the fort, kids?

4 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger kt said...

climbing into the orange tree over the slide or perhaps running the hose down the slide to make it a water slide.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Bellamama said...

mostly what you told - dress-up tea parties and climbing onto the roof to "see the whole world" through our binoculars. I also remember practicing on the monkey bars constantly so I could show off at school.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Alli said...

Climbing up once and seeing Laura and Gordon (probably Karren and Stu too) on the roof. Then trying to climb up myself and everyone telling me no. So I threatened to tell you guys. And then Gordon threatened me, and the problem was thus solved...

I also remember sliding down the slide and trying to grab a branch, thinking it'd be fun.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger kt said...

I never climbed on the roof. Dad said that he would burn it down if he caught me up there, so I was truly distraught every time I saw Laura & Gordon climbing up there. Stuey and I were too small.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home