Karren breaks every bottle in the whole refrigerator--on purpose
One day when I was working in the kitchen at the Mallory house, Karren wandered in--I think she was about three years old. She toddled over to the refrigerator and opened the door, and CRASH! One whole shelf in the refrigerator door fell to the floor, smashing several bottles such as mayonnaise and pickles, making a ghastly noise and an unholy mess. Poor Karren was scared to death, and burst into noisy tears.
As I whisked her away in my arms, both to calm her and to get her away from all the broken glass, I reflected on the certainty that, had I not been standing right there, I would have assumed that she had done something to cause it--perhaps climbing the door, or hanging on it or something. Punishment would have been swift and sure, but alas, unjustified. It was a valuable lesson.
But sometimes I still jump to conclusions.

1 Comments:
This is the story of my life. ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home