Friday, November 24, 2006

Gordon gets up in the morning

Gordon and I had battles of will more than once, and one of the most memorable occurred when he was around ten years old. He was in bed and wouldn't get up, despite reminders, pleas, and threatenings. Finally I went to his bedside with a glass of water in my hand.

"If you don't get up," I said, "I will pour this glass of water over your head."

"You wouldn't do that," he answered smugly.

Whatever my intentions had been, that sealed it. I slowly poured the water over his head, and he bounded up in outrage. "I'm telling Dad!"

He ran off to tell David, but got no satisfaction. It seems that when he complained about how I treated him, David merely remarked, "Well, then you must have deserved it."

Yes, he did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home