Back to School
On August 29, 1983 Gordon started first grade at Highland elementary school. He had Mrs. Blackwell, who was a great teacher, and he lost his brand-new lunchbox on the first day of school. The second day of school was his birthday, so he took cookies for the class.
Laura started preschool on September 12. She and Marijo Rogers went to Rita Lyon's preschool every Monday and Wednesday. "Sister Lyon's" preschool was wonderful; all of our kids learned to read there (except Gordon). After her students learned their alphabet, they would get a little photocopied book, stapled together, with little signature lines up and down both inside covers. The very first book was "The (apple) ran." Each time Laura read the book, I signed inside the cover. When all the lines were filled, she got a little prize and the next book. These I will never forget. Ever. It seemed to take years to get through each book. But in time, they learned to read. That, by itself, made it all worth it.

2 Comments:
I remember pre-school. I went with Marijo Rogers and sometimes our moms would take us out for Swenson's ice cream after class. We ususally got bubble gum flavored and ended up with a napkin full of bubble gum.
whoa I remember swensen's and the bubble-gum ice cream. That was nasty!!
Post a Comment
<< Home